Form Time Activity For All Key Stages
This activity is mapped to CDI Framework Learning about Careers and the world of work – Exploring careers & careers development
- KS2 be aware that people’s careers are different and they develop in different ways
- KS3 describe different ways of looking at people’s careers and how they develop
- KS4 explain key ideas about career and career development
- KS5 /Post 16 reflect on changing career processes and structures and their effects on people’s experience and management of their own career development
Ensure all pupils have pen and paper
- Ask them to work in pairs for 3 minutes and write a list of all the jobs that they can think of.
- Pick a pair and ask them to share all the jobs they have on their list ( A member of the class can be asked to complete a flip chart with all the jobs as they are read out.)
- Ask other groups to tick off any job shared by the first pair that they already have on their list and also make a list of any job the first pair have that was not on the other group’s list.
- Pick a 2nd pair and repeat the process using only jobs that have not been mentioned yet.
- Repeat step 3 until there are no more jobs to be shared.
- Discuss the following aspects of the resulting list
- KS2 Where do these people work? Group jobs into places of work such as Hospital, Office, Outside, Factory etc
- KS3 Ask an employer or a member of staff to talk about their career and how it progressed. NB this may be better as a follow up activity.
- KS4 Pick a career from the list that would be hard to do for a long time, for reasons such as fitness, popularity, the world of work changing, automation etc.. E.g. a ground keeper, social media manager or a ballerina – Ask pupils what would the worker have to do when they couldn’t do the job any longer.
- KS5/Post 16 What routes are available to you when you leave school? E.g. University; Apprenticeships; School Leaver Programmes; Traineeships etc. Encourage pupils to think about how they fit in with their own plans.